At this time in person Initial Private Applicator Trainings are not being held due to the COVID-19 outbreak. You can still get a Montana Private Applicator license by taking the exam either online, or in-person. Please contact your local Extension office in advance for more information and use the resources provided below. 

Becoming Licensed

Private applicators must be licensed prior to purchasing and using restricted use pesticides (RUP). To become certified an applicator must either:

  1. Complete the Montana Private Applicator Certification Exam at your local Extension office, or
  2. Attend a Private Applicator Initial Training listed on this page.

For more information visit our Private Applicator Program page.

Training Materials

If you attend an Initial Private Applicator Training you will be provided the following materials at the time of the event. If you decide to take the exam you are required to have the following manuals prior to applying for a Montana Private Applicator Pesticide License. MSU PEP highly recommends purchasing and studying these materials in advance.

Core Topic Training Videos

Videos will be available by April 1, 2020 and will be posted here as they are available. 

The provided videos can be used to help study for the Montana Private Applicator Exam. These videos cover the seven core topics required in an Initial Private Applicator Training and will prepare applicators for questions found on the exam. Not all material may be covered in these videos so please review the manuals and publications listed above. 

  1. The Montana Private Applicator License (17:18 min)
  2. Reading the Pesticide Product Label (17:20 min)
  3. Pesticides in the Environment (28:02 min)
  4. Integrated Pest Management (32:06 min)
  5. Pesticide Safety (36:04 min)
  6. Calibration (46:14 min)

Several of the videos have story problems included as an additional training exercise. To utilize these please download the Core Topic Story Problem Packet. Answers to the story problems are presented in the videos.

2020 Initial Training Details and Registration

The course list is updated as courses are approved. Please check back for more options.

2020 Initial Trainings
Date Location Host More Information
1/22/2020 Hingham Hill County Extension

Hingham Initial Program Information

2/24/2020 Fort Benton Chouteau County Extension

Fort Benton Initial Program Information

2/25/2020 Chester Liberty County Extension

Chester Initial Program Information

3/3/2020 Crow Agency Big Horn County Extension

Crow Agency Initial Program Information

3/11/2020 Great Falls Cascade County Extension

Great Falls Initial Program Information

3/17/2020 Scobey Daniels County Extension

Scobey Initial Program Information

3/24/2020 Chinook CANCELLED - Contact the Blaine County Extension Office for testing options at (406) 357-3200.

Chinook Initial Program Information

3/26/2020 Missoula CANCELLED - Contact your local Extension Office for testing options.

Missoula Initial Program Information

4/8/2020 Ennis CANCELLED - Contact the Madison/Jefferson County Extension Office for testing options at (406) 287-3282.

Ennis Initial Program Information

4/9/2020 Anaconda CANCELLED - Contact the Deer Lodge County Extension Office for testing options at (406) 563-4035.

Anaconda Initial Program Information

4/29/2020 Dillon Beaverhead County Extension